Cold season is here. The weather is changing and our bodies are trying to get accustomed to the cold winter weather.
You can use medicine and preventative measures to protect you from colds and coughs. But why not try something that has been around for centuries?
Essential oils are great for fighting off an infection and strengthening your immune system. But which natural remedies are the best essential oils for colds?
Essential Oils for Colds
- Tea Tree Essential Oil is a great option for fighting a cold. The tree it’s derived from is native to Australia. The oil has antiviral, antibacterial, and antiseptic properties which help fight the congestion and discomfort that’s associated with many colds.
- Lavender Essential Oil is a gentle option that can soothe anyone, including children, with its antimicrobial features. And this oil also serves as an antiseptic and a calming agent that will help get you through any cold.
- Rosemary Essential Oil is a natural remedy that has a myriad of health benefits. It’s well known to be a great help in reducing pain and relieving respiratory distress. It can also serve as a boost to your immune system by stimulating the antioxidants within your body.
- Pine Essential Oil is another natural oil that’s great for clearing congestion and loosening the phlegm that’s associated with many respiratory colds. Plus, it also has features that will help to relieve a cough or the pain of a sore throat.
- Lemon Essential Oil is a citrus essential oil that’s high in vitamins. So this is a great way to boost your immune system. It has a stimulating aroma that can be both beneficial and soothing when a cold is threatening your well being. This is one of the best essential oils for colds as it helps comfort stomach ailments as well as congestion and fever.
- Peppermint Essential Oil combines antiseptic properties with antiviral features to create a strong expectorant. This loosens the mucus and phlegm that’s common with many colds. The relief this oil brings is only temporary. But it’s an instant solution to any breathing problems that can arise from sinus congestion, bronchitis, or any other common cold. It’s soothing effects are great for relieving any stress, headaches, or nausea. It’s also great for relieving any aching pain that an illness brings on.
- Thyme Essential Oil is a stimulant and an expectorant that’s great for fighting against a cold. It has antiseptic, antibacterial, and other useful qualities to help you guard against infection. It also offers you relief from the coughs and the congestion of many colds. It does tend to slightly raise your blood pressure though. So be wary of this effect if your blood pressure is already higher than normal.
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil is a great natural way to soothe inflammation in your air passages and fight the bacteria that’s causing your ailment. It’s derived from an evergreen tree that is native to Australia. The oil has antiseptic, antibacterial, and decongestant properties. These help fight against respiratory woes as well as muscle pain and fatigue.
Essential Oil Treatments for a Cold
- Air diffusion is a great method for getting these essential oil combinations into your respiratory system. Simply add a few drops to a diffuser, and then place a candle under it to heat the oil and release the aroma.
- Inhalation of these oils is often a great treatment. Place a few drops in your hand and rub them together. Or add some oil to a tissue or a cotton ball and store it away in a small bag to use on the go.
- A rub is also a great way to treat a cold. You can create one by mixing the essential oils of your choice and a carrier oil or lotion. Add five to ten drops to the carrier oil or the lotion. Then apply it to your throat, your chest, or the bottoms of your feet before going to bed.
- Gargling is always a great way to soothe a sore throat. So simply incorporate a comforting essential oil into the lukewarm water. Make sure not to swallow the mixture.
- Massage the diluted essential oil directly onto your skin to help relieve stiff, sore areas of your body. Place cold compresses over the oiled area to bring soothing relief when you’re riddled with a fever.
- Soaking your body in a warm soothing bath that has five to ten drops of a beneficial essential oil will help relieve any congestion. Be sure to add the oils once the water has finished running. This is so that they do not evaporate before they are able to aid you in the fight against your cold.
Therapeutic Blends for Colds
- Thieves Oil is a combination of clove, cinnamon bark, lemon, rosemary and eucalyptus essential oils that’s been used since the fifteenth century. At that time people used it to relieve symptoms of the plague. Today, it’s a great air diffusion you can use to purify the air. You can also use it as a throat spray that you can gargle to soothe a sore throat or a cough.
- An inhalation combination of eucalyptus essential oil and lavender essential oil is great for battling any cold. Especially when you’re severely congested.
- A chest balm can be a great way to loosen congestion and soothe a cough during the hours you are sleeping. Try adding eight drops of eucalyptus oil, five drops of lavender oil, and two drops of thyme oil to a tablespoon of coconut oil. This will create a relaxing sensation that will promote easier breathing while you sleep. This will result in a deeper rest that will speed up your recovery.
These essential oils are not only great for battling a cold; they’re great for helping prevent them as well.
And while essential oils for colds are great on their own, each has different properties that can be more beneficial for certain symptoms.
So experiment with different essential oil combinations next time you feel a cold coming on. Find a solution you love to keep you healthy all winter. And if you find a great blend of essential oils for colds be sure to share it in the comments below.