Eczema is an inflammatory skin disorder that affects more than 15 million people in the United States alone. Common symptoms of eczema include blisters, scaly or dry skin, and extremely itchy rashes on the skin.
Unfortunately, there is currently no cure for this skin condition, so the main goal for those who have eczema is to reduce the symptoms and relieve the skin so it can heal. There are medications that you can buy that help to relieve the itching, but what if a more natural cure for eczema is desired?
That is where essential oils come in. Using essential oils for eczema outbreaks can treat the condition naturally, and different combinations of oils can make your skin smell wonderful. So let’s take a look at which essential oils can be a great natural eczema treatment.
The Best Essential Oils for Eczema
There are many essential oils that are good for eczema. Below is a list of some of the best along with a short description of the benefits of each.
Cedarwood has a woodsy, warming aroma that creates a relaxing atmosphere. It is a great essential oil for treating inflammation and curing any infection that may be present. It can also help reduce peeling of the skin in the affected area.
Chamomile, specifically German or Roman chamomile, is an effective way to soothe itchy, dry skin and reduce inflammation of the skin. It has a soothing flowery, apple-like aroma that is one of the best ways to improve your health.
Frankincense is a balsamic essential oil that has properties that treat inflamed skin, but the most unique aspect of frankincense is that when it is combined with other essential oils for eczema, the potency of these oils increases greatly.
Geranium is another great way to reduce skin inflammation. This essential oil kills bacteria on the skin that could be causing irritations, and it has an exceptionally uplifting flowery aroma.
Helichrysum is an essential oil for eczema with a sweet earthy aroma that is known for its healing properties, especially when it comes to the skin. It can also relieve inflammation as well as alleviate any pain or itchiness that may be present.
Lavender is a sweet, flowery essential oil that is both soothing and refreshing. It is one of the most beneficial oils to treat skin ailments because it has properties to reduce inflammation as well as antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It is a very calming and moisturizing oil that will speed up healing and help reduce any scarring that may occur on the skin.
Melaleuca essential oil is a very soothing option that can help to heal the skin. It has antibacterial and antiseptic properties as well as properties that help to reduce inflammation.
Melrose is another of the best essential oils for eczema, known for its ability to reduce inflamed skin and its antimicrobial properties. This powerful combination of essential oils promotes healing with the regeneration of cells and damaged tissue.
Thyme is a very energizing essential oil that is great for treating infections that can be caused by skin irritations such as eczema.
Carrier Oils for Eczema Treatments
If you’re going to use essential oils for eczema treatments then you must dilute them first using carrier oils. This is because undiluted essential oils can cause skin irritations and other bad reactions in some people. Basically, when we refer to carrier oils we just mean any oil that is not an essential oil. Below are some of the best carrier oils for the above essential oils for eczema.
Coconut oil is a great option for those suffering with eczema. It is a fast absorbing oil that rehydrates and heals the skin. It also has properties that help control inflamed skin as well as viral and bacterial infections.
Shea butter is a great way to moisturize damaged skin. It is also rich in vitamin A, which will help the healing process.
Avocado oil is chock full of vitamins A, B, D, and E as well as amino acids that are great for treating eczema symptoms.
Olive oil is an oil that traps moisture in the skin, which can help get rid of those dry patches left behind from the eczema.
Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E oil is a powerful moisturizing oil that is known to rejuvenate the skin.
Ways to Treat Eczema with Essential Oils
- Skin compresses are a great way to treat eczema flare ups. Take one quart of cool water and combine four drops of any combination of the essential oils for eczema that you desire. Try to use an oil combination that will soothe all of your symptoms, such as two drops of chamomile, a drop of helichrysum, and a drop of lavender. Use a clean cloth to apply the mixture to any irritated skin.
- A cooling spray created with distilled water and about ten drops of lavender essential oil will relieve inflamed skin and soothe the itchiness. Make sure to shake the mixture in the spray bottle before use.
- Soaking in the tub with essential oils is a great way to soothe eczema symptoms. Add any combination of oils to warm bath water and soak for about 30 minutes. A great smelling combination of oils is lavender, geranium, and chamomile. Use at least two drops of each, and make sure not to add them to running water. Adding the oils before the bath water is ready can cause the oils to evaporate and lessen the healing effect desired.
- Create an eczema lotion by taking an eight ounce bottle of unscented lotion and add about 20 drops of any essential oil for eczema. For exceptionally dry skin, a lotion that contains Shea butter and vitamin E may help the skin heal at a faster rate.
- Create a topical massage oil by combining a tablespoon of any carrier oil and two to four drops of any essential oil for eczema. Apply the oil to the affected areas a few times each day until they are healed.
- Create a healing salve by melting down about ¾ cup of coconut oil, avocado oil, and olive oil. Mix in a few spoonfuls of beeswax and a small amount of arrowroot. Cool the mixture, and then add a little vitamin E and about ten drops of lavender, melaleuca, thyme, geranium, and frankincense. Store the salve at room temperature in a small container.
Essential oils have proven to be a great natural remedy that provides relief to those with severe eczema symptoms. Everyone has different skin, so what works for one person may not be a great option for someone else.
Find a few carrier oils and essential oils that feel refreshing and revitalizing on areas of skin that are affected. Experiment with different combinations of the best essential oils for eczema and see which best relieves the itch and irritation for you personally. You can learn more about eczema here.
If you found this article interesting, you may also be interested in my article about the best essential oils for psoriasis too.