Hemorrhoids are the varicose veins found in the rectum. They cause no harm to the body; in fact, they’re designed to help with the disposal of waste.
The problem occurs when your hemorrhoids become inflamed. This can cause unbearable pain and discomfort. Some of the other symptoms to be aware of are severe itchiness, protrusions, and blood in your stool.
The condition itself is known as piles. It occurs most often in situations when you place a physical strain on your body. Some of the more common causes of piles include:
- Physical labor.
- Complications during pregnancy.
- Straining to use the bathroom.
Essential oils are a great hemorrhoid treatment to use, but which ones are the most beneficial?
What Makes Using Essential Oils For Hemorrhoids So Beneficial?
Many essential oils contain a high amount of vitamins that can easily be absorbed into your body through the skin. This allows them to act quickly.
Many of the essential oils for hemorrhoids also have anti-inflammatory and anti-infective properties. Some of the more specific ways that essential oils for hemorrhoids work are as follows.
- They reduce the swelling of your hemorrhoid as a result of the anti-inflammatory aspect.
- They relieve the itchy, irritating pain that can be associated with this condition.
- They repair ruptured blood vessels and lesions on the hemorrhoid.
- They strengthen the blood vessels, which can help prevent a relapse.
- They can help improve blood circulation.
Essential Oils for Hemorrhoids
- Lavender oil is a great essential oil for hemorrhoids. It’s a great smelling relief to pain and itchiness. Its anti-inflammatory properties also help to strengthen your body.
- Tea tree oil is another great hemorrhoid treatment. It has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties to help speed up your recovery as well as a cooling agent to help you through the pain.
- Cypress oil is an essential oil that should always be considered when treating hemorrhoids. It’s an extremely gentle oil that contracts blood vessels and causes them to heal more quickly. It’s also known to increase circulation within your body. And it reduces the bleeding that hemorrhoids can cause.
- Geranium oil is a powerful cure that works great as a hemorrhoid treatment. It effectively stops the bleeding and promotes a fast rate of healing. It also has anti-inflammatory agents that ease the pain by numbing the nerves in the affected area of your body.
- Frankincense is good for hemorrhoids because it relaxes your muscles. It effectively cleanses your system. This helps clear bacterial infections and speed up the recovery process.
- Juniper oil is an often used essential oil for hemorrhoids. It’s a great way to promote blood flow in your body. In addition, the pain and discomfort of having an inflamed hemorrhoid may cause stress. Juniper oil is also great for reducing this.
- Chamomile oil is a great way to calm the agitation caused from this condition. It soothes the irritation and the pain by numbing the nerves. The use of chamomile oil promotes new tissue growth as well.
- Patchouli oil is a great essential oil for hemorrhoids. It has the ability to reduce the inflammation. It also kills bacteria and reduces the risk of infection greatly.
- Helichrysum oil is an anti-inflammatory, anti-allergenic essential oil that promotes cell growth and regeneration. Hemorrhoids can cause allergen sensitivity in some people. So this essential oil is an extremely beneficial addition to any hemorrhoid treatment.
Ways to use Essential Oils for Hemorrhoid Treatment
- In some cases, you can apply the essential oils directly to the affected area. It’s often best though to combine the oils that have the healing properties you are looking for with carrier oils. Olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, and sesame oil are all great diluters for the essential oils. Once you’ve created the mixture, it’s easily applied with a washcloth or a gentle wipe a few times a day.
- You can soak the essential oils into several cleansing pads for later use. These pads will serve as a needed relief that can be used to wipe your bottom after using the restroom or to simply lessen an itch.
- Put a few drops of the essential oils you’re using for hemorrhoid treatment into a warm bath. Eight drops should be effective for relieving discomfort. It should also soothe your body and promote the process of healing the inflamed hemorrhoids.
- Suppositories are also a very effective way to treat hemorrhoids. Since the rectum is an extremely absorbent location, this method of treatment can be beneficial for internal irritations.
Great Essential Oil Combinations For Hemorrhoids Treatment
- To calm the itch of this condition combine five drops of geranium oil, four drops of lavender oil, three drops of chamomile oil, and forty drops of coconut oil. Apply two to three drops of the mixture onto the affected area with a pre-moistened wipe or a cloth.
- To create a cream you can apply to the skin simply combine six drops of cypress oil and five drops of geranium oil with five teaspoons of calendula based cream.
- A good combination for cleansing wipes is to mix ten drops of chamomile oil and five drops of cypress oil with about a third of a cup of witch hazel. This mixture should be able to soak about twenty-five cleansing pads that you can use as needed.
- Two drops of chamomile oil, juniper oil, and sandalwood make an oil combination for a soothing bath that’s a great relief.
- You can make a suppository out of essential oils by placing two to three drops of lavender oil and geranium oil in an ice cube tray full of coconut oil. The frozen oil melts easily upon contact with your body, so it’s absorbed quickly. It’s also a self lubricating suppository, so it’s extremely easy to use.
Here’s a great infographic from the folks at Web Essential Oils that contains some essential oil blends for treating hemorrhoids and its symptoms:
There are also many other natural remedies for hemorrhoids treatment. That said, I’ve found the use of essential oils to be a great way to relieve the pain and irritation associated with this condition.
Experiment with the different essential oils and see what’s the most beneficial for you personally during your hemorrhoids treatment.